Note: With action going on both ends of the field, the focus for today’s highlights was the defense.
– The defense picked up where it left off on Tuesday. Whether it was starters or backups, the pass rush was relentless. During the first periods, outside linebackers Tipa Galeai and Preston Smith and inside linebacker De’Vondre Campbell had “sacks.” On another play, outside linebacker Kobe Jones overpowered tight end Lucas Krull and pushed him forcefully into the lap of quarterback Ian Book.
– During the first two plays of a red-zone period, Smith and Kenny Clark had sacks. Moments later, linebacker Krys Barnes and cornerback Kiondre Thomas had breakups. The period ended with a sack by red-hot rookie outside linebacker Kingsley Enagbare.
– The defense, however, was gashed too often by Mark Ingram and the Saints’ running backs. There were also coverage breakdowns against the tight ends. In the red zone, tight ends Juwan Johnson, Adam Trautman and Krull had touchdowns.
– After a big run by Ingram, outside linebacker Rashan Gary leveled Johnson and drilled running back Alvin Kamara.
– Cornerback Rasul Douglas was sensational on Tuesday but was beaten deep by Chris Olave for a gain of about 30 yards on fourth-and-1. That set up a touchdown. Otherwise, he had a dominant two days.
– Thomas, elevated into the second unit with Rico Gafford sidelined by ankle injury, was torched by 5-foot-6 receiver Deonte Harty but Book threw the ball too far.
– During the starters vs. starters two-minute drill, Aaron Rodgers connected with receiver Doubs on a receiver screen. Tight end Josiah Deguara had the key block for a gain of 11. Deguara also had an explosive play as a receiver.
– During the red zone, the Green Bay offense scored five touchdowns – two passes by Aaron Rodgers and three passes by Jordan Love. Juwann Winfree, who quietly keeps making plays, had one from each quarterback.